Palazzo Ducale is the location of the Provincial Administration of Lucca and the Prefecture of Lucca and it also hosts the 'Museum of Risorgimento' and the 'Fondazione Paolo Cresci per la Storia dell'Emigrazione Italiana', founded to preserve, safeguard, promote and enhance respectively the testaments of the folklore and the memory and documents of the emigration.
Hosted inside Palazzo Ducale are the following: Historical Institute of Lucca, Institute for the "Resistenza", Institute of Calabrian Studies.
Palazzo Ducale is located in the city center of Lucca, administrative center of the Province, not so distant located from Pisa (20 km), Florence (70 km), Viareggio (25 km).
Palazzo Ducale is located in the city center inside the city walls and is easily reachable from the train station, walking, in 10 minutes.
The train station is located along the route Florence – Viareggio and Pisa – Lucca – Aulla.
STAZIONE FERROVIARIA DI LUCCA Piazza Ricasoli, tel. 0583 467013
Opening times: working days 5.30 – 20.20; non-working days 6.30 – 20.20
Reservations and information at the counter: 7.00 – 20.20
Disabled People's Assistance Office - tel. 0583 490104
Regional Assistance and Disabled People's Reservations Office: Tel. 055 2352275 (7.00 – 21.00)
Trenitalia informs: Tel. 892021; Tel. 199 166 177 (Mobile telephony)
Management Regional Transportation of Tuscany: Tel. 055 211539
For the trains' timetables please consult the website: www.trenitalia.it
Palazzo Ducale is located at 400 meters away from Piazzale Verdi, the city's bus terminal.
Lucca is connected to the other cities of Tuscany and with the Versilia coast through the bus routes Vai Bus Lucca (CTT North Group): urban service and the main routes to Garfagnana, Versilia, Mediavalle del Serchio.
Ticket office and information office: Piazzale Verdi, Tel. 0583 587897 (opening times: from Monday to Saturday 7.00 – 19.30; closed on non-working days).
Public Relations Office: Tel. 0583 541239
For opening times and information: www.lucca.cttnord.it
Lucca is easily reachable:
- from Rome and Bologna by traveling along the A1 motorway up to Florence, then taking the A11 motorway (Florence – Sea) and exiting at 'Lucca'.
- from Genoa by traveling along the A12 motorway up to Viareggio and continuing along the A11-12 motorway connection up to Lucca.
- from Milan by reaching Viareggio traveling alongside the A15, A12 motorways and the A11-12 motorway connection up to Lucca.
- from Florence by traveling along the A11 (Florence – Sea) exiting at 'Lucca'.
- from Viareggio by traveling along the A11-12 motorway connection.
- from Pisa by traveling along the SS12 highway
Lucca is supplied with various both free and pay and display parking lots, in the city center and outside the city walls. These are connected to the city center with bus services.
For clarifications: Public Relations Office of the City of Lucca, Via del Moro 17, Tel. 0583 442323 - 442444
The most importants parkings inside the urban walls:
- Mazzini: underground parking garage with entrance from Porta Elisa;
- Cittadella: open-air parking lot with entrance from Porta S. Anna, Piazzale Verdi;
- Lorenzini: open-air parking lot located near the Cittadella one, with entrance from Porta S. Anna, Piazzale Verdi;
- The parking lots in Via del Pallone, Corso Garibaldi, Via dei Bacchettoni, Piazza Santa Maria and Piazzale Verdi are all located along the streets and squares of the city centre.
The pay and display parking lots (both inside and outside of the city walls) are managed by the company Polis/Metro with headquarters in Lucca, Via di Tiglio 957, S. Filippo.
Tel. 0583 492255 with help desk c/o Carducci parking lots in Viale Carducci (open everyday from 8.00 to 18.00, Tel. 0583 582859 and available at www.polisspa.it
The free parking lots are located outside the city walls: Palazzetto dello Sport (entrance from Via delle Tagliate); Tensostruttura (entrance from Via delle Tagliate); Area Variante (entrance from Via delle Tagliate, Borgo Giannotti); Hospital Area (entrance from Via Gianni, Via Vecchia Pesciatina); Area Macelli (entrance from Via dei Macelli); Piazzale Aldo Moro (entrance from Viale San Concordio, Via della Formica); Viale Luporini (entrance from Viale Luporini); Via Filzi – Market (entrance from Viale Giusti); Via delle Tagliate – Urban Cemetery Parking (entrance from Via delle Tagliate).
Tourist Bus Parking – Via delle Tagliate (near the Palazzetto dello Sport).
Information c/o Tourism Office of the City of Lucca, Tel. 0583 4422, Fax 0583 442505 – free parking.
Campers Parking – Viale Luporini.
Information c/o Tourism Office of the City of Lucca, Tel. 0583 4422, Fax 0583 442505 – free parking equipped for campers.
Accessibility for disabled people
Palazzo Ducale and the museums are accessible to disable people by specific ramps and elevators. Toilettes for disabled people are also present inside the buildings. The nearest parking lots are the Cittadella parking lot, the Lorenzini parking lot and the ones in Via Garibaldi and Piazzale Verdi.
For specific demands you can contact the Logistic Office of the Province of Lucca - tel. 0583 417363