Restauro


Foto

Galleria Immagini


Councillors’ Room

The Councillors’ or Ministers’ Room is rectangular and its vaulted ceiling has at its centre a fresco by the Florentine painter Gaspero Martellini. Prior to restoration work, the walls were flat-washed in a single colour, the original silk wallcovering having been removed before the Palazzo was transferred to the Province in 1867. The terrazzo floor shows the heraldic symbols of the Bourbons. The four doors in walnut are decorated with delicate bronze racemes and little lions’ heads in relief. The frames and steps of the windows overlooking the Cortile degli Svizzeri are in marble. The chimney is in white marble decorated with gilded bronze and the surround is covered with majolica tiles. The dado has pictorial decoration.

The work involved:

  • restoring the pictorial decoration on the frieze and ceiling; notes on methods
  • restoring the terrazzo floor; notes on methods
  • cleaning and consolidating the marble frames, steps and fireplace; notes on methods
  • restoring the wax-treated walnut doors; notes on methods
  • renewing the electrical system and installing new lighting above the cornice;
  • supplying and hanging fabric wallcovering and curtains.