Visita Virtuale


Foto

Galleria Immagini


The Fourteenth Century Wall of the Cortile degli Svizzeri

This wall, which is first mentioned in 1337, is the oldest architectural element in the whole Palazzo Ducale complex. It is about a metre thick and almost nine metres high and completes the Cortile degli Svizzeri at the Church of San Romano end. It has a doorway with stone hinges in which there is a gate that was installed in 1927 to replace a wooden door that was regarded as no longer usable.
Above the arch of the entrance is an imperial eagle that was discovered in 1976 when the Pietro Testa’s fresco The Liberty of Lucca was removed and which can now be seen in the Footmen’s Room in the Palazzo. The eagle stylised in the imperial style is evidence that this frescoed symbol belongs to the time of Castruccio Castracani.
The decoration on the wall surfaces consists of two rows of grey ashlar alternating with one row of black, marked with white lines, and is the result of philological restoration work completed in May 2004. The traces left of the layers allowed the original finish to be identified and restored to its present condition, with missing parts replaced.