Visita Virtuale


Foto

Galleria Immagini


Ammannati Loggia

Designed by Bartolomeo Ammannati in 1577, the Loggia is just one element in the complex programme of alterations to the Palazzo that the Florentine architect suggested to the Elders after a munitions room exploded during the night on 28th August in 1576, causing serious damage.
The main structure was intended to complete what is now the Cortile degli Svizzeri and was designed as the Palazzo’s principal entrance. Nowadays, the Loggia is a splendid gallery overlooking Piazza Napoleone, with large sandstone windows that fill it with light.
The main façade has a harmonious ground floor with a central doorway framed in rustic Guamo stone ashlar. At the sides are symmetrical niches and decorative elements in stone. On the first floor, three Serlian windows alternate with architrave windows with moulded sandstone frames.
At ground floor level, the imposing internal façade has five arches with arched radial lintels in ashlar on smooth columns dressed with rustic ashlar and above it is the airy open gallery with five Serlian windows, with brown Guamo stone on the ground floor and grey Matraia stone on the upper floor. Ammannati put large corbels, typically mannerist in their fantastical shapes, on the seven walls that support the arches.