Visita Virtuale


Foto

Galleria Immagini


Chiesa di Santa Maria della Rotonda

The Church of Santa Maria della Rotonda is in the northwest part of the Palazzo. It is first mentioned in a document of 1131 and in 1322 was enclosed in the Augusta Fortress built by Castruccio Castracani, Lord of Lucca. In 1428 it was united with the nearby Church of Sant’Alessandro Maggiore and became the premises of the Company of Tailors and later of the Company of the Misericordia. The present building is the result of restoration carried out between the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. It is to this period that the construction of the internal vault belongs, with its frescoes of faux architecture and the Assumption of the Virgin by Ippolito Marracci.