Visita Virtuale


Foto

Galleria Immagini


Civil Appeal Court

We owe the Palazzina’s present appearance to Bernardino Poli, chief architect in the Province’s Building Department who adapted the building between 1871 and 1872 to accommodate the Royal Assize and Appeal Courts by doing away with the central courtyard on the ground floor and making use of the space on the first floor which was then occupied by a large terrace, an open passage and the main part of the building on the west side. The building work for the large room to be used as the chamber for civil hearings is described in detail in reports prepared in the Province’s Building Department and the bills sent in by the various workmen involved in the building works. The plans included raising the perimeter walls of the main building, making a new roof and increasing the height of the walls by a quarter to create the lower intermediate floor and support the floor of the main chamber. We also know from these documents that the vaulted ceiling of the chamber had trellised plasterwork with barrel centring with a stucco rosette in the middle. The walls were divided by glazed mortar stucco pilasters and frames with composite capitals and bases and a cornice with a terracotta frame about 1.3 metres long, moulded, plastered and dressed with white stucco “applied with the tip of a trowel”. The cornice and dado were in glazed grey stucco and the doorways had stucco frames and brackets. The floor was in terrazzo and the skirting in glazed stucco with fine marble veining. The ceiling and walls were first plastered with mortar from the San Lorenzo and Compigniano limekilns and then painted by artists Antonio Ghilardi and Giovanni del Frate, the ceiling being very pale sky blue and the walls violet. On the west side of the room there was a passage divided by a quarter wall, the upper part of which had a gallery with a bricked floor supported by beams and rafters, with a rail and turned wood balusters painted white. The plans included six new doors in the Turin style (one of which did not open) painted in semi-gloss white with gilded frames.