Home Palazzo ducale The ancient Institutions The Court of Elisa Bonaparte Baciocchi

The Court of Elisa Bonaparte Baciocchi

In 1808, the House of Princes of Lucca and Piombino was thus organized: Elisa had two ladies-in-waiting available, Camilla Mansi and lady La Place and a companion, Elonora Bernardini. The Palazzo's ladies were twelve plus four embassy dames and a reader. Raffaello Mansi was a knight of honour. Ascasio Mansi performed the duties of Grand Chamberlain and he was accompanied by other eights of them, four ordinary and four honorary. Bartolomeo Cenami was Grand Squire and he had other five squires with him. The Grand Eleemosynary was the dean Giuseppe de Nobili, assisted by another three of them. The Prince had five aides-de-camp with him. Lorenzo Montecatini was the Grand Master of the ceremonies, and he had four aides who helped him. The Princes' Unit Guard was composed of five Grenadiers and five Hunters who were under the orders of the General Mariotti. There was a governor of the Pages, who had with him three teachers, five masters and four pages. The music responsibility was entrusted to the Master of the Choir Domenico Vincenzo Maria Puccini. Lazzaro Papi was the librarian. The Palazzo of Lucca was managed by a General Intendant, who had an architect, Giovanni Lazzarini, a notary, a doctor, a surgeon and a treasurer as employees. Even the young Elisa Napoleone, Elisa and Felice's daughter, had her own court composed of a governor and a sub-governor. The Secretaryship of the Sovereign's study, an authority used to follow the government's affairs, was almost immediately combined with the State's one and ran by Giovanni Battista Frussard.