Home Palazzo ducale The ancient Institutions The Royal Musical Choir

The Royal Musical Choir

The ancient Republic Musical Choir, abolished by Elisa Baciocchi,was replaced by a little Choir of Chamber which lasted a few years from 1806 to 1809, when it merged into the Municipal Choir. With the arrival of Maria Luisa di Borbone the musical complex was rebuilt again with a decree in 1818. The Royal Musical Choir had a definite set of rules under the government of Carlo Lodovico di Borbone. The complex, in its final structure, was an orchestra composed of ten cantors and thirty two instrumentalists and it was used for reception at Court and religious musical services, especially in the church of S. Romano and in the Cathedral.