The Mint of Lucca was one of the most long-lasting in Europe. It was opened by the Lombards in the 7th century and it continued to mint coin for Carlo Magno, the marquesses of Tuscany, the City and the Republic. Initially located in the Santa Maria in Palazzo area, the current Piazza San Giusto, from the 15th to the 17th century it was housed on the ground floor of the tower in the Elders Palace. In 1721 it was moved in a specifically built edifice in Corso Garibaldi. The Mint was governed by two commissioners, yearly elected by the General Council. It was closed with the end of the Republic and from that moment on, the following emissions for the principality of Lucca and Piombino were coined in Florence, while the ones for the dukedom of Lucca were again coined in its territory.